- Company Name
- A.W.Bell Pty Ltd
- Company ABN/ACN/NZBN
- 145 Abbotts Road, Dandenong South, Victoria 3175
- Web Address
- Number of Employees
- Is your company a small to medium enterprise (SME)?
- Is your company a product or service orientated business?
- Does your company currently supply directly to the ADF or Department of Defence?
- Does your company currently supply directly to a Defence prime contractor?
Industry and Defence Engagement
- Member of an industry group or association
AIDN, SEMMA, SEBN, AIRG
Primary Point of Contact
- Jason Barkla
- Business Development Manager
- Company Overview
A.W.Bell is a supplier of complex metal components and assemblies with high mechanical properties to the defence, aerospace and biomedical sectors.
The 63 year old private company currently supplies to customers such as ASC, BAE Systems and Northrop Grumman for programs including Australia's Collins submarines and the F35 Joint Strike Fighter aircraft.
A.W.Bell currently directly exports about 40% of product to countries such as USA and Germany.
It produces product in a huge range of materials including, HSLA steels, tool steels, stainless and duplex steels, cast iron, aluminium and nickel-alloy bronze amongst many others.
The company offers services and product including toolmaking, investment castings, sand castings, production machining, assemblies, R&D and design-for-manufacture.
In addition to the above in-house capabilities it offers inspection including x-ray, die penetrant, dimensional, chemical and mechanical testing.
Quality and environmental accreditation includes AS9100C, ISO9001 and 14001.
A.W.Bell also has a unique, world leading process for investment casting of aluminium called the Aluminium Billet Equivalent (ABE™) casting process. This is achieved through computer controlled robotic production of high-strength, low defect, complex aluminium components. This allows efficient manufacture of product as castings in place of expensive machined-billet solutions.
A.W.Bell's machining, assembly and inspection capabilities allow supply of finished components and assemblies ready for incorporation into customers' products.
The company works with customers to supply cost-effective, repeatable solutions for the most demanding and mission-critical applications. The highly qualified staff are flexible and responsive to the challenges their customers face in the defence and aerospace sectors.
- complex metal products
- investment casting
- sand casting
- precision machining
- design for manufacture
- research and development
- Showcase Capability
A.W.Bell is an experienced supplier to global supply chains with over 20 years export experience. It is engaged with a growing number of large International defence Primes.
A.W.Bell is a Tier 1 supplier to ASC for a growing number of components for their Collins submarine engine sustainment program. The company has also supplied a number of other components for the submarines as a Tier 2 supplier.
A.W.Bell has worked with ASC and other key companies on research and development programs to deliver superior materials and component technologies. Understanding the customers core capability needs and delivering sustainable and repeatable outcomes is a key strength.
A.W.Bell is also experienced at taking on product that has proven challenging to other suppliers, The company has a strong track record of improving product quality, dimensionally, mechanically and functionally.
- world class manufacturing
- experienced supplier to Primes
- ABE™ casting process
- design for manufacture
- focus on repeatability and sustainability
- advice on cost reduction strategies
- Key customers
- ASC - Collins Submarine Sustainment
- BAE Systems - F35 Flare Magazine components
- Northrop Grumman - F35 EODAS Sensor Housings
- Marand Precision - F135 Engine Change Trailer Components
- BAE Systems - Missile Components ESSM and Nulka
- Pump Technology - Collins Seawater Pump Components
- Key Partners
- Enterprise Connect
- Defence Industry Innovation Centre
Standards and Accreditations
- Standards and Accreditations
Publisher's Note: Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information printed in this Capability Portal. However, the Publishers accept no responsibility for any errors or omissions that may have occurred.